West Brom'wich, a Staffordshire town, one of the most important in the 'Black Country,' 5 1/2 miles NW. of Birmingham, 90 SSE. of Liverpool, 93 NNE. of Bristol, and 113 NW. of London. The Bromwic of Domesday, and the seat in the 12th c. of a Benedictine priory, it yet is of modern growth, having risen within the last hundred years from a mere village on a barren heath, in consequence of the rich coal and iron mines near, of the industries to which these give rise, and of the transport facilities by rail and canal. The public buildings, erected in 1875 at a cost of £30,000, comprise a town-hall with a fine organ, a tower 130 feet high, a market-hall, free library, public baths, etc. There are also the institute (1886), All Saints Church (rebuilt 1872), Christ Church (1829), with a tower 114 feet high and twelve bells, the West Bromwich district hospital (1867-82), and a public park of 65 1/2 acres, with a boating and bathing pool, and commanding a beautiful view. The last was presented to the town in 1878-87 by the Earl of Dartmouth, whose ancestor purchased the manor in 1823. The manufactures comprise all departments of Birmingham hardware, as gun-barrels, axle-boxes, locks, swords, bayonets, fire-irons, fenders, saucepans, safes, cooking-ranges, gas-stoves, etc. Puddling and sheet-iron rolling, sheet-glass making, coal-mining, and brick-making are also carried on. In 1867 West Bromwich was included within the parliamentary borough of Wednesbury, but since 1885 itself has returned a member. It was made a municipal borough in 1882, a county borough in 1888. Pop. (1801) 5687; (1841) 26,121; (1881) 56,295; (1901) 65,172. See a work by Joseph Reeves (1836).