West'morland, a northern county of England, bounded by Cumberland, Durham, Yorkshire, and Lancashire. With a very irregular outline, it has an extreme length from N. to S. of 32 miles, an extreme breadth from E. to W. of 40 miles, and an area of 505,864 acres or 790 sq. m. The surface is mountainous, the highest summits being Helvellyn (q.v., 3118 feet) on the Cumberland boundary, Bow Fell (2959), Fairfield (2950), Dufton Fell (2803), and Dun Fell (2780). The western portion of the county belongs to the Lake District (q.v.), its lakes including Windermere (q.v.) on the Lancashire boundary, and Ullswater (q.v.), on that with Cumberland, besides Grasmere, Howes Water, Rydal Water, etc. The moorlands - to which Westmorland owes its name - are numerous and extensive; but along the courses of the Kent in the S. and the Eden in the N. (the principal streams) there are tracts of fertile land. Of the 400,000 acres in cultivation less than 90,000 are under corn; woods and plantations cover 17,000 acres. The climate is moist and mild, but with often much snow in winter. Coal, lead, copper, slate, and graphite are the chief mineral productions. Westmorland, which is in the diocese of Carlisle, comprises four wards, 109 parishes, and the towns of Appleby, Ambleside, and Kendal. It returns one member apiece for the Northern or Appleby and the Southern or Kendal division. Worthies have been Bernard Gilpin, Catharine Parr, Ann Clifford, Countess of Pembroke, Bishop Watson, Wordsworth, Prof. Wilson, Hartley Coleridge, Dr Arnold, Miss Martineau, and Sir J. G. Wilkinson; and Clifton Moor was the scene of a Jacobite skirmish (1745). Pop. (1801) 40,805; (1841) 56,454; (1881) 64,191; (1901) 64,305. See the Quarterly Review for January 1867; works cited there and at Lake District; and others by E. Bellasis (2 vols. Kendal, 1892), and R. S. Ferguson (1894).