Wexford, a maritime county of Leinster, bordering on Wicklow, Carlow, Kilkenny, and Waterford. Greatest length, 55 miles; greatest breadth, 30 miles; area, 573,200 acres. The coast-line is irregular and dangerous; Carnsore Point is the SE. extremity of Ireland. The greater part of the surface is level, but Mount Leinster, on the border, is 2610 feet high. The chief river, the Slaney, enters the sea through Wexford Harbour; the Barrow is part of the boundary. The soil varies from light and sandy to stiff clay, but the county has a verdant luxuriance. The fisheries are valuable. The principal towns are Wexford, Enniscorthy, New Ross, and Gorey. The maritime position of Wexford laid it open early to the incursions of the Danes, and it was the first landing-place of the English. In the insurrection of 1798 it formed the theatre of the only serious conflicts. There are many old castles, and the monasteries of Dunbrody, Tintern, and Ross. Wexford returns two members. Pop. (1841) 202,196; (1861) 143,594; (1901) 104,104 - 95,435 Catholics.
Wexford, the capital, a seaport and municipal borough, is situated at the Slaney's mouth, 93 miles S. of Dublin by rail. The estuary of the Slaney forms Wexford Harbour, which, though spacious, is shallow and impeded by a bar. Parts of the old fortifications and of St Selsker's priory remain. The town was taken by Cromwell in 1644. Till 1885 it returned a member. Pop. (1881) 12,163; (1901) 11,168. See works by R. Fraser (1807) and M. Doyle (1868).