Whithorn, a royal burgh in Wigtownshire, 3 1/4 miles NW. of the Isle of Whithorn, and 12 1/4 S. of Wigtown by rail. The Leukopibia of the NovantAe, Latin Candida Casa, and Old English Hwitaern, it was here that St Ninian founded a church (397), and here he was buried in 432. An Anglic bishopric (727-96) was re-established as the see of Galloway, the church of a Premonstratensian priory becoming the cathedral. It was a great place of pilgrimage. There remains now only a roofless, ivy-grown ruin. Pop. 1188.
Whiting Bay. See Arran.
Whit'stable, a long, straggling village in Kent, on the south shore of the Thames estuary, at the Swale's mouth, 6 miles NNW. of Canterbury. Its oysters are famous, the large artificial beds being regularly farmed. Pop. 7086.
Whittlesey, a Cambridgeshire town, 5 1/2 miles E. by S. of Peterborough. Whittlesey Mere, a former shallow lake (2 by 1 mile) in Hunts, 4 miles SW. of Whittlesey, is drained. Pop. (1851) 4972; (1901) 3909.
Wiborg. See Viborg.
Wichita (Wish'e-taw or Wi-shee'taw), a city of southern Kansas, capital of Sedgwick county, on the Arkansas River's left bank, 505 miles W. by S. of St Louis and 228 SW. of Kansas City. It is the meeting-point of four great railway systems, and contains many other mills, etc. It was founded in 1870. Pop. (1880) 4911; (1900) 24,671.
Wick, the county town of Caithness, on the Wick River, at its entrance to Wick Bay, 161 miles by rail (1874) NNE. of Inverness. The royal burgh, with its suburbs Louisburgh and Boathaven, lies N. of the river, and Pultney-town (1808) on the S. bank. The harbour is tidai. Wick is a great centre of the herring-fishery. Pop. (1841) 5522; (1901) 7911.
Wickham Market, a Suffolk town, 5 miles NNE. of Woodbridge. Pop. of parish, 1537.
Widdin, a town of NW. Bulgaria, on the Danube's right bank, 20 miles from the Servian frontier. For centuries the ' Virgin Fortress' was a strong Turkish post, famous in the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-78. Pop. 15,400.
Wid'nes, a borough of Lancashire, on the Mersey, 13 miles ESE. of Liverpool by rail, with manufactures of iron, copper, soda, soap, candles, manures, etc. Widnes, incorporated in 1892, is opposite Runcorn (q.v.). Pop. (1861) 4803; (1891) 30,011; (1901) 28,580.