Wino'na, capital of Winona county, Minnesota, on the right bank of the Mississippi, 103 miles by rail SE. of St Paul. It has flour and saw mills, foundries, carriage, barrel, and sash factories, etc. Pop. 21,000.
Winslow, a market-town of Bucks, 6 1/2 miles SE. of Buckingham. Pop. 1704.
Winterthur (Vin-ter-toor; anc. Vitodurum), a Swiss town, on the Eulach, 17 miles by rail NE. of Zurich. It manufactures locomotives, cotton, silk, and woollen goods, etc. Pop. 22,650.
Wirksworth, a market-town, 13 1/4 miles NNW. of Derby. There are neighbouring lead-mines, and manufactures of cotton, ginghams, hosiery, etc. Pop. 3800.
Wirral. See Cheshire.
Wisby (Viz-by), a once famous seaport on the west coast of the Swedish island of Gothland, 130 miles S. of Stockholm. One of the chief commercial cities in Europe during the 10th and 11th centuries, and then a principal factory of the Hanseatic League, in 1361 it was stormed by Valdemar III. of Denmark, who obtained an immense booty. This was a fatal blow to its prosperity. The ancient walls and towers, almost as entire as in the 13th c, render its appearance from the sea most striking. Pop. 8400.
Wish'aw, a thriving town of Lanarkshire, 3 1/2 miles ESE. of Motherwell and 15 of Glasgow. Founded in 1794, it was constituted a police-burgh in 1855, and since 1874 has comprised also the villages of Cambusnethan (Lockhart's birthplace) and Craigneuk. Coal-mining is the staple industry, and there are also ironworks. Pop. (1841) 2149; (1881) 13,112; (1901) 20,S73.
Wismar (w as v), a Baltic seaport of Mecklen-burg-Schwerin, 20 miles by rail N. of Schwerin. Of the walls only four gates remain; but its quaint houses are a feature of the place, and several of the brick churches, as well as the Furstenhof, once a ducal residence, date from the 14th or 15th century. Pop. 20,530.
Wissembourg (Veessangboorg; Ger. Weissen-burg), till 1871 a French fortified town, close to the frontier of the Bavarian Palatinate, now a manufacturing town in German Lower Alsace, is on the Lauter 42 miles NNE. of Strasburg; pop. 7000. It grew up round a 7th-century Benedictine abbey, and in 1677-97 was ceded to France. Here, on 4th August 1870, the Germans won their first great victory over the French.