Wolf Rock, 8 miles SSW. of Land's End, has a lighthouse (1862-69) 116 1/2 feet high.
Wolgast (w as v), a Pomeranian seaport, on the Peene, 10 miles from its mouth in the Baltic, and 36 SE. of Stralsund by rail. Pop. 8485.
Wooburn, a town of Bucks, 2 3/4 miles SW. of Beaconsfleld. Pop. of parish, 2727.
Wood'bridge, a Suffolk town, on the right bank of the Deben, which expands into an estuary, 12 miles from the sea and 8 ENE. of Ipswich. The Udebryge of Domesday, it has a fine Perpendicular church with a flint-work tower 108 feet high, a Flemish-looking town-hall, and the richly endowed Seckford almshouses and grammar-school - the former dating from 1587, and rebuilt in 1840 at a cost of £28,000. Bernard Barton and Edward Fitz-Gerald were residents. Vessels of 140 tons can reach the town, which exports corn, malt, and bricks. Pop. 4640.
Woodford, an Essex parish, 4 1/2 miles N. by E. of Stratford. Pop. 14,100.
Woodhall Spa. See Horncastle.
Woodside, a NW. suburb of Aberdeen.
Wood'stock, a market-town of Oxfordshire, on the Glyme, 8 miles NNW. of Oxford. It was a royal manor from Saxon times until 1705, when it was granted to the Duke of Marlborough, whose seat, Blenheim Park (q.v.), is close by. Hence it has many memories, as the birthplace of the Black Prince (though not of Chaucer), as the scene of Becket's first quarrel with Henry (if not of Fair Rosamond's murder), as the place of captivity where Elizabeth wished herself a milkmaid, and for the pranks of its 'merry devil' on the parliamentary commissioners in the old manor house, which was pulled down in 1723. A municipal borough, chartered first by Henry VI., and last in 1886, Woodstock till 1832 returned two members, and then till 1885 one. It still carries on leather glove-making. Pop. 1684. See a work by E. Marshall (2 vols. 1873-74).
Wooler, a town of Northumberland, under the Cheviots, 9 miles SW. of Bel ford. Pop. 1331.
Woolton. See Much Woolton.