Workington, a municipal borough and seaport of Cumberland, at the mouth of the Derwent, 7 miles N. of Whitehaven by rail. Its harbour, sheltered by a breakwater (1873), is safe and commodious. To neighbouring coal-mines the town chiefly owes its prosperity; and there are ironworks, etc, a large Sheffield steel foundry having been transferred hither in 1883. The salmon-fishery near is important. Mary, Queen of Scots, landed here, on her flight from Langside, 16th May 1568, and was entertained at Workington Hall (the seat of the Curwens from about 1160 till the present day). Workington was incorporated as a municipal borough in 1888. Pop. (1881) 14,109; (1901) 26,143.
Worsborough, a town in the West Riding, 2 1/2 miles S. of Barnsley, with manufactures of iron, glass, paper, gunpowder, etc. Pop. 10,336.
Worth (nearly Virt or Vairt), a village (pop. 1064) of Alsace, 10 miles SW. of Wissembourg (Weissenburg). The great German victory over the French (6th August 1870) is by the latter usually called Reichshofen.
Worthing (th soft), a fashionable Sussex watering-place, 10 1/2 miles W. by S. of Brighton and 56 SSW. of London. It has risen from a small fishing-village since 1760, its growth being rapid after visits of the Princess Amelia (1797) and the Princess Charlotte (1807). The climate is much milder than that of Brighton, the place being encircled on the north and north-east by the Downs, which shelter it from cold winds, and render it one of the best winter-resorts on the south coast. There are capital sands, a parade 1 1/2 mile long, a public park of 18 acres (1881), and an iron pier (1862) 320 yards long. Fruit and tomato growing is largely carried on, many acres being covered with glass. Worthing was con-stituted a municipal borough in 1890. Pop. (1851) 5370; (1881) 11,821; (1901) 20,015.
Wrangel Land (Vrang'el), an island in the Arctic Ocean, lying N. of the eastern extremity of Asia, and intersected by the meridian of 180° E. long. It was sighted by Sir Henry Kellett in 1849, re-discovered by the American De Long in 1867, who named it after Baron Ferdinand von Wrangel (Russian arctic explorer, 1821-23), and explored by the American expedition of 1881.
Wrath, Cape. See Cape Wrath.