Worms (Wurmz; Ger. pron. Forms), an ancient and interesting town of Hesse-Darmstadt, on the Rhine's left bank, 25 miles SW. of Darmstadt. The massive Romanesque cathedral, with two cupolas and four towers, was founded in the 8th, rebuilt in the 11th and 12th centuries, and carefully restored in the last quarter of the 19th century. On a hill near the church called the Lieb-frauenkirche a highly esteemed wine, Liebfrauen-milch, is grown. The synagogue (11th c.) is one of the oldest in Germany. The town-house was restored in 1885. There are manufactures of polished leather, tobacco, soap, etc. Pop. (1875) 16,597; (1900) 40,705. Worms is one of the oldest cities of Germany; in it is laid the scene of the Nibelungenlied. It was occupied by the Romans, destroyed by Attila, and afterwards rebuilt by Clovis. It was frequently the residence of Charlemagne and his Carlovingian successors, and was erected into a free imperial city by the Emperor Henry V. The most famous diet held here was that in 1521, at which Luther defended himself before Charles V., commemorated by an imposing Luther monument erected in 1868. The industry of Worms was great during the middle ages, and its population in the days of the Hohenstaufens averaged 60,000, and amounted to 30,000 even at the close of the Thirty Years' War; but it was almost wholly destroyed by the French in 1689.