Wurzburg (Veertz'boorg), capital of the Bavarian province of Lower Franconia, on the Main, 70 miles SE. of Frankfort by rail. Among the public buildings are the Episcopal Palace (1720-44), one of the most magnificent royal residences in Germany, the Julius Hospital (1576), the university buildings, the town-hall, etc. The fortress of Marienberg, on whose site Drusus founded a castle, crowns a hill 400 feet high, on the Main's left bank, and was till 1720 the episcopal residence. Besides the richly decorated cathedral, which was rebuilt in the 11th and following centuries, there are the exquisite Marienkapelle; the university church; and the Neumunster Church, containing the bones of Wurzburg's patron, St Kilian, and of Walther von der Vogelweide. In front of the Julius Hospital there is a bronze statue of Bishop Julius; he also in 1582 founded the university, which has 75 professors, 1400 students - more than half of them medical - and a library of over 350,000 vols. There are manufactures of tobacco, furniture, machinery, surgical instruments, railway carriages, lamps, vinegar, wine, beer, and iron. Pop. (1880) 51,014; (1900) 75,497. Wurz-burg (Lat. Wirceburgum) was long the capital of a sovereign bishopric, conferred in 1803 mostly on the Elector of Bavaria.
Wurzen(Veertz'en), a Saxon town, on the Mulde, 18 miles E. of Leipzig, with a 12th-century cathedral, an old castle, and manufactures of biscuits, carpets, felt, wire, cigars, etc. Pop. 16,620.