Yarmouth (Yar'muth), a municipal, parliamentary, and county borough, seaport, watering-place, and fishing-town of Norfolk, 20 1/2 miles E. of Norwich and 122 NNE. of London. It stands 2 1/2 miles from the mouth of the river Yare, on a slip of land l 1/2 mile broad, which is washed on the west by the Yare, expanding here into Brey-don Water, and on the east by the German Ocean. A bridge connects the town with its Suffolk suburbs of Southtown, or Little Yarmouth, and Gorleston. The main streets of Yarmouth run parallel to the river, and are intersected by 145 narrow 'rows,' resembling the 'wynds' of Edinburgh. The sea frontage has a fine marine parade, with the Wellington and Britannia Piers (1854-58) and the Old Jetty (1808). St Nicholas' Church, founded by Bishop Herbert de Losinga, and restored between 1847 and 1884, is one of the largest parish churches in the kingdom, measuring 230 feet in length, 110 in breadth, and 148 across the transept, with a modern spire 168 feet high; a feature of its churchyard is the number of gravestones to drowned mariners. The Nelson Monument (1818) is a Doric column 144 feet high; and one may also notice the new municipal buildings, Queen Anne in style (1882), the covered fish-market (1867), the sailors' home (1860), the aquarium (1876), the royal military hospital (1809), militia barracks, spacious market-place, some remains of the old walls, etc. Yarmouth is the principal seat of the English herring-fishery; and its 'bloaters' are widely esteemed. Deep-sea fishing is also carried on, and there is considerable shipping, the present harbour-channel of the Yare having been formed in 1559-67, whilst in Yarmouth Roads, inside a line of sandbanks, there is safe anchorage. The exports include fish 'and agricultural produce; shipbuilding is carried on, and iron, ropes, sails, silk, etc. are manufactured. The town, too, owes much of its well-being to its attractions as a lively watering-place. None of its worthies is more famous than 'Peggotty;' in its history may be noticed its feuds with the Cinque Ports, the plague of 1338-39, which cost 7000 lives, and the fall of a suspension bridge (1845), when seventy-nine persons were drowned. Chartered by King John, it returned two members to parliament from Edward II.'s time till 1867, and regained one of them in 1885; in 1888 it was created a county borough. Pop. (1881) 46,767; (1901) 51,316. See works by C. J. Palmer (1856), J. G. Nall (1860-66). W. F. Crisp (1871), and others cited at Norfolk.