Yokoha'ma (a as ah), the chief port of entry in Japan. Until the opening of the country in 1854 it was an insignificant fishing-village, contiguous to the important town of Kanagawa, originally granted as a treaty settlement. The Bluff, conceded for residence in 1867, is a beautiful spot commanding fine views of Fuji-san and of Yokohama Bay. The modern town is well laid out, and contains many fine stone buildings, public and private, churches, hospitals, recreation grounds, newspapers in English, French, and Japanese, etc. The bay is very beautiful, and the anchorage is protected by two breakwaters 12,000 feet in length. Ships are loaded at an iron pier 2000 feet long, and there are two large graving-docks. There is direct steamship communication with the principal ports of the world. Silk repre-sents three-fifths of the exports, the rest being other tissues, tea, copper, etc.; the imports are cottons and woollens, raw sugar, oils, metals, chemicals, arms and ammunition, watches, etc. Pop. (1872) 61,553; (1903) 326,000.