Zurich (Zoo'rik; Ger. Zurich, pron. nearly Tsee'rihh), a northern Swiss canton, drained by the Rhine, and traversed from NW. to SE. by lofty hills, between which lie the three valleys of the Toss, Glatt, and Limmat. The last drains the beautiful Lake of Zurich, which, lying 1341 feet above sea-level, is 25 miles long and 2 1/2 miles broad at the widest. Area, 666 sq. m.; pop., German-speaking and Protestant, (1870) 284,786; (1900) 430,336.
Zurich, the capital, 41 miles by rail NNE. of Lucerne and 43 NW. of Glarus, is situated at the point where the Limmat issues from the Lake of Zurich. It is one of the most prosperous manufacturing and commercial towns of Switzerland, yet with narrow streets and lofty houses in its older quarters. Of the Romanesque cathedral, erected in the 11th and 13th centuries, Zwingli was pastor, as Lavater was of the Peterskirche. The university, founded in 1832, has nearly 100 teachers and more than 900 students; the famous Polytechnic has 1500 students, and has served as model for many such institutions; and one may also notice the town-hall (1699), the botanic gardens, the six bridges, and the town library with over 100,000 volumes and 3000 MSS. Fuseli was a native. Pop. (1870) 56,695; (1901) 152,942.