* Corolla rotate, the tube very short. † Stamens two.
(235) Veronica - calyx 4-5-parted; corolla unequally four-lobed, the lower lobe smallest; capsule compressed.
†† Stamens four.
(236) Sibthorpia - calyx five-lobed; corolla irregularly five-cleft capsule compressed, orbicular.
††† Stamens five.
(237) Verbascum - calyx deeply five-cleft; corolla with five broad rounded lobes; stamens five, often woolly; capsule ovoid.
** Corolla distinctly tubular. † Corolla spurred at the base in front.
(238) Linaria - calyx five-parted; corolla personate, the lower lip three-cleft, with a prominent palate closing the mouth.
†† Corolla gibbous at the base in front.
(239) Antirrhinum - calyx five-parted; corolla personate, the lower lip three-cleft, with a prominent palate closing the mouth.
††† Corolla equal at the base in front. ‡ Calyx five-cleft.
(240) Scrophularia - corolla globose, the limb minute, upper lip two-lobed, lower three-lobed; rudiment of a fifth stamen often present.
(241) Digitalis - corolla bell-shaped, with broad tube, and oblique, 4-5-cleft flat limb.
(242) Pedicularis - calyx inflated; corolla ringent, the upper lip compressed laterally, the lower plane, three-lobed.
‡‡ Calyx four-cleft.
(243) Bartsia - calyx bell-shaped; corolla tubular, two-lipped, the upper lip erect, arched, or concave, entire or notched; seeds many, striated or furrowed.
(244) Euphrasia - calyx tubular or bell-shaped; corolla tubular, two-lipped, the upper lip two-lobed, spreading or reflexed; seeds few, furrowed.
(245) Rhinanthus - calyx inflated, compressed, with a contracted mouth; corolla ringent, the upper lip compressed laterally; seeds compressed, with an orbicular margin.
(246) Melampyrum - calyx tubular; corolla ringent, upper lip compressed laterally, with reflexed margins; seeds smooth.
(247) Orobanche - calyx deeply divided into 2-4 pointed sepals; corolla tubular or bell-shaped, often curved.
* Stem jointed, without leaves. (248) Salicornia - stamens 1-2; succulent maritime herbs.
** Stem continuous; leaves semicylindrical.
(249) Suaeda - leaves succulent, not prickly; perianth segments remaining unaltered.
(250) Salsola - leaves prickly; perianth segments acquiring a dorsal appendage or wing.
*** Stem continuous; leaves flat.
(251) Beta - perianth segments succulent, becoming enlarged, with the lower half of the ovary adherent to them.
(252) Chenopodium - perianth segments herbaceous, scarcely enlarged, the ovary free.
(253) Atriplex - polygamous or monoecious; perianth of female flowers, consisting, when in fruit, of two much enlarged segments.