Some photographers who have never made a business of home portraiture think of the home portraitist as an intruder, as one who has broken into traditional photographic circles, while as a matter of fact he has merely broken out. He is a man who has seen the limitations of studio service and who has been broad enough to reach out and grasp a new idea rather than have it forced upon him.

Mr. W. O. Breckon of Pittsburgh is one of the pioneers of home portraiture. He recalls the first examples of home portraiture which he exhibited to other photographers with the apology, "made by a window in a home; unhandy outfit; difficult light, etc." To-day no apology is necessary. Experience with window lightings, Portrait Film and the Home Portrait Outfit have overcome former difficulties.

During a demonstration at a recent convention, Mr. Breckon was asked what class or style of work he liked to make, and his reply was, "Good, straight photographs - the kind that honestly pleases the people. "He believes that expression sells 90 per cent, of the photographs made while the other 10 per cent. is a matter of salesmanship and possibly the photographer's reputation.

Believing this, he gives his sitter a natural and pleasing pose and makes a number of exposures to catch the various changing expressions. When a new position is given for almost every exposure there is the danger that the pleasing pose is found in one negative and the pleasing expression in another.

On being asked what he considered the chief advantage of Film over Plates, Mr. Breckon replied: "Did you ever go out by appointment to photograph the first grandchild, the finest baby in the world, with twelve 8 x 10 plates in the holders (and that's enough to carry with the rest of the outfit)? When you are about ten exposures along, Mother decides that it is just the time to get a picture of Grandma and Grandpa with the baby, also to have their portraits made separately.

"Not having enough plates, you make a trip to the studio and return with twelve more. But by this time baby has become restless, Grandpa is sleepy and Grandma has lost interest for the time in photography. The extra dollars hitched to that order are gone.

"I stopped that leak in profits with Eastman Portrait Film. I carry three to six dozen 8 x 10 Film for emergencies, no extra weight worth mentioning and I can reload in a clothes press when necessary.

"I take them where my customers want them taken and am more successful under trying conditions with films than with plates. When you are shooting against the light at the youngsters with their noses flattened against the window, watching for 'Dad', or the girls in the conservatory with sunlight streaming in through the plants, film helps you to get real quality in the deep shadows beneath the greens and also holds a clear, clean-cut outline of the figures against the strongest light."

Eastman Portrait Film Negative, Artura Print By W. O. Breckon Pittsburgh, Pa.

Eastman Portrait Film Negative, Artura Print By W. O. Breckon Pittsburgh, Pa.

In the Breckon studio you are strongly impressed with the harmony of studio arrangement, business methods, service, and high class workmanship. Our illustrations are excellent examples of Mr. Breckon's work on Portrait Film.

Advertising Contest Results

The pictures entered in the 1918 Kodak Advertising Competition have been passed upon by the judges and the prizes have been awarded for those pictures which, in the minds of the judges, presented the most forceful arguments for the sales of Kodaks or Kodak accessories.

There were fourteen prizes divided into two classes. The list of those who won the prizes follows:

Class A

First . . William Shewell Ellis

Second . J. W. Weiseisen

Third . . Edwin G. Dunning

Fourth . R. T. Dooner

Fifth . . George J. Botto

Sixth . . J. W. Weiseisen

Seventh . W. B. Stage

Class B

First . . Florence N. Conaghan

Second . George H. Seip

Third . . William C. Motteram

Fourth . George W. French

Fifth . . James J. Ryan

Sixth . . Edwin S. Culver

Seventh . John S. Neary

The judges were: E. B. Core, Photographer, Yonkers, N. Y.; L. a Hiller, Photographer, New York City; J. D. Ellsworth, Advertising Manager, American Telephone and Telegraph Co., New York City; Don M. Parker, Secretary, Century Co., New York City; W. R. Hine, Vice-President and General Manager,Frank Seaman, Inc., New York City.

Lantern Slide Booklet

The first edition of a new booklet, "Lantern Slides - How to Make and Color Them," has just been received from the printers and will be of interest to every professional photographer who makes slides. The new methods of toning and tinting slides, worked out in the Eastman Research Laboratory, are especially interesting. The booklet is free at your dealer's.

Eastman Portrait Film Negative, Artura Print By W. O. Breckon Pittsburgh, Pa.

Eastman Portrait Film Negative, Artura Print By W. O. Breckon Pittsburgh, Pa.