The new High School for Girls at Oxford, built by Mr. T.G. Jackson, for the Girls' Public Day School Company, Limited, was opened September 23, 1880, when the school was transferred from the temporary premises it had occupied in St. Giles's. The new building stands in St. Giles's road, East, to the north of Oxford, on land leased from University College, and contains accommodation for about 270 pupils in 11 class-rooms, some of which communicate by sliding doors, besides a residence for the mistress, an office and waiting-room, a room for the teachers, cloak rooms, kitchens, and other necessary offices, and a large hall, 50 ft. by 30 ft., for the general assembling of the school together and for use on speech-days and other public occasions. The principal front faces St. Giles's road, and is shown in the accompanying illustration. The great hall occupies the whole of the upper story of the front building, with the office and cloak-rooms below it, and the principal entrance in the center. The class-rooms are all placed in the rear of the building, to secure quiet, and open on each floor into a corridor surrounding the main staircase which occupies the center of the building. The walls are built of Headington stone in rubble work, with dressings of brick, between which the walling is plastered, and the front is enriched with cornices and pilasters, and a hood over the entrance door, all of terra cotta. The hinder part of the building is kept studiously simple and plain on account of expense. Behind the school is a large playground, which is provided with an asphalt tennis-court, and is picturesquely shaded with apple-trees, the survivors of an old orchard. The builders were Messrs. Symm & Co., of Oxford; and the terra cotta was made by Messrs. Doulton, of Lambeth. Mr. E. Long was clerk of works.--Building News.

SUGGESTIONS IN ARCHITECTURE  NEW HIGH SCHOOL, OXFORD

SUGGESTIONS IN ARCHITECTURE--NEW HIGH SCHOOL, OXFORD