The little city is situated about half way between Nizza and Mentone, and it formerly was the chief city of a principality that belonged to the family Grimaldi. Prince Florestan sold in 1860 his royal prerogatives to the Emperor Napoleon, for three million francs, consequently the land came under the jurisdiction of the French republic, but the city remained in the Prince's possession, who, however, gave to the gambler Blanc the privilege of erecting a gambling house upon the rocky shore of the sea.
THE CASINO AT MONTE CARLO.
Enormous sums of money were spent to give this isolated cliff its present appearance, covered as it is with beautiful buildings, hotels, and villas, besides the magnificent Casino building, which was erected in 1862. Directly facing the sea, there is a succession of most beautiful gardens and terraces.
But this establishment, which seems like paradise, has had a most disastrous effect upon thousands of persons, and for a long time the subject of influencing the French government to put a stop to this gambling house has been agitated. It can scarcely be imagined how much misery it has already caused. It is evident to every one that the keeper of the bank makes considerable profit, as the chances are 63 times greater in his favor than those of the player.
It is admitted that the profits amount every year to 17 million francs. One can well imagine how many fortunes have been consumed every year to make this profit; but the number cannot be determined.