Question 140.— A has a cheque of $80, signed by B, on our savings department, but B has only $40 to his credit; is the bank justified to pay to A the balance remaining to B's account without any notice? What would you think of a debit slip on B.'s account to withdraw the balance remaining to his credit, and apply that amount as a partial payment on the back of the cheque?

Answer.—The bank should refuse payment—"Not sufficient funds."