DANIEL RICHARD CRISSINGER, the fourteenth Comptroller of the Currency, was nominated by President Harding to succeed John Skelton Williams, March 10, 1921, and assumed charge of the bureau March 17 following. He was a fellow townsman and a life-long friend and neighbor of the President.
Mr. Crissinger was born December 10, 1860, in a log cabin in Tully township, Marion County, Ohio. He was educated in the common schools of Caledonia, Ohio, and was graduated from the Caledonia High School in 1880. He taught one year in the grade schools of Caledonia, and one year as assistant in the high school of that town, while finishing his high school studies.
He entered Buchtel College at Akron, Ohio, in September, 1881, and was graduated from that college with the degree of B. S. in June, 1885. He took up the study of law in the office of Judge William Z. Davis at Marion, Ohio, in July, 1885, as a student and read law with Judge Davis until October, 1885, when he entered the law school at the University of Cincinnati, and was graduated with a class of one hundred and fifteen in June, 1886, when he returned to Marion and entered a partnership with Judge Davis, his preceptor, in 1886.
He was elected prosecuting attorney in 1888 and was reelected in 1891. In 1893, while still prosecuting attorney, he was elected city solicitor of Marion, Ohio, and was re-elected in 1895 and again in 1897. He was nominated for Congress in 1904 and in 1906 on the Democratic ticket. He entered into a partnership with John A. Wolford in the practice of law in 1896, which partnership continued until Mr. Wolford's death in 1898. Two years later he entered a partnership with Fred E. Guthery, which partnership was still maintained at the time of his appointment as Comptroller of the Currency.
He assisted in the organization of the City National Bank of Marion, Ohio, in 1880, and was its vice-president about ten years. He succeeded to the presidency of the bank in April, 1911, after the death of I. S. Merchant, its first president.
At the expiration of the bank's charter on September 5, 1920, he assisted in the organization of the National City Bank & Trust Company, which company absorbed the City National Bank. He became president of the new bank, which opened with a capital of $300,000 and $30,000 surplus.
He was a director of the Marion Steam Shovel Company, and for twenty-two years was the general counsel of the company.
He was a director and vice-president of the Marion Union Stock Yards Company, a director and treasurer of the Marion Packing Company, and a director of the Marion County Telephone Company. He was president of the Marion Cemetery Association, and was also connected with many other enterprises about Marion.
He was actively engaged in the practise of law, representing clients doing business in all the States of the Union, and in Canada, Alaska, South America, Africa and Continental Europe. His professional practise has been largely the handling of the business interests of his clients.
He was extensively interested in farming and stock feeding, and owned several large farms in Marion County, Ohio, annually buying and feeding several hundred heads of cattle and hogs, and was deeply interested in the successful advancement of all agricultural work.