When you make a salad always use cold ingredients and then chill the finished salad before you serve it. Lettuce makes a pretty garnish that's good to eat and everyone will want to eat it if it's fresh and crisp.
1. To prepare lettuce for a salad, cut out the core with a sharp-pointed knife.
2. To loosen the leaves, hold lettuce, with cut side up, under running water.
3. Peel off as many leaves as you need and wash them thoroughly.
4. Gently pat dry between paper towels or in a towel.
5. Wrap leaves loosely in a fresh towel or put them in a plastic bag.
6. Chill the leaves well in the refrigerator.