Mushrooms and Truffles belong to this group of plants; both being largely eaten, and agreeing with most persons. Botanists inform us that there are many species of innocent and nourishing fungi; but there are some, also, that are dangerously poisonous. While, then, the general rnle is, that those whose color is not dark, nor taste harsh, nor odor disagreeable, are harmless, experiments are not safe in such a matter, when made by those ignorant of the kind they have found. The true eatable mushroom, agaricus campestris, grows on open ground, has pink "gills" or frilled arrangement iinderueath its crown, a small " ruffle " also on its stem, and a thin skin on top, which can be peeled off easily. The assertion made by some that even this plant is unsafe until cooked does not agree with my experience; as I have often eaten at least a small handful of mushroom plants raw, without any injury. Still, they may under some circumstances be less wholesome, and cooking improves their flavor as well as secures their innocency. Symptoms of " toadstool" poisoning are those of irritant poisoning; vomiting, purging, and abdominal pains; with, also, dizziness, partial blindness, delirium, perhaps convulsions and stupor, at least in fatal cases. Generally, the symptoms do not show themselves for a number of hours, if the irritant effects are most prominent; but stupefying effects have sometimes appeared within an hour or two.

No antidote for fungus-poisoning having been ascertained to exist, the proper treatment for it is, the use of mustard, salt, or ipecac, as an emetic, followed by charcoal and magnesia-water, and then stimulants (ammonia, whiskey, etc.), if required by great debility; lime-water and milk for nourishment (later, beef-tea, etc.); and, if irritation and pain without stupor be present, careful use of moderate doses of some opiate, as paregoric or laudanum, to assuage distress and procure relief.