This section of the book is from the "Household Companion: The Family Doctor" book
Children now and then push peas, small marbles, etc., into their own or one another's noses. If the intruding thing be not very large, blowing the nose very hard, while the other nostril is closed by pressure, may force it out. If not, a piece of wire (a hairpin will do) maybe bent so as to form a small round loop at its end, and this (first being oiled) may be gently pushed up around and behind the offending object, to draw it down. Should this not succeed, the aid of a surgeon must be obtained, who will use slenderbladed but strong forceps, made for such emergencies.
Swallowing indigestible things gives alarm in many cases where there is little danger of real injury. Pins are apt to be swallowed when held in the mouth, which is a very imprudent thing to do; but they will more often stick across the upper part of the throat than go down. (See Choking ) When a pin is actually swallowed, there is reason to believe that it is almost sure to find its way at last through the bowels and out with the discharges. If a horn button, or a piece of india-rubber, or a marble, is swallowed, it will be pretty sure to take the same course in time. None of those things are poisonous. A metal but ton, however, as one of brass, or a copper coin, as a penny, is much worse. Such a thing may pass safely through; but if it stays in the stomach or bowels, gradually corroding, it will poison the system, perhaps, fatally. From such a result, no medical skill can provide escape; unless, when such a thing is known at the time to have been swallowed, prompt dosing with an emetic will bring it up with vomiting. A teaspoonful of powder of ipecacuanha, or a teaspoonful of syrup of ipecac, repeated in ten minutes if necessary, and followed by a large drink -of warm (not hot) water, will answer for this purpose. If no ipecac, is at hand, a tablespoonful of salt, or a teaspoon ful of mustard, in a teacupful of warm water, will do.
It is not worth while to give an emetic on account of the swallowing of non-poisonous indigestible solids. Nor is it best to give, on their account, an immediate dose of purgative medicine. Let the person eat rather heartily of soft food, as mush, pudding, tapioca, etc.; and the next day, if the bowels are not free, he may take a moderate dose of castor-oil. While, however, such things, in a majority of cases, do no considerable harm, exceptions to this do occur On the whole, it is well to use our senses of touch, taste, and sight carefully, knowing what is in the mouth always before we swallow it. Among other things, when eating canned vegetables, fruit, etc., take care not to swallow bits of soldering metal, such as now and then become loosened in the can. As these contain lead, they may produce lead poisoning. This has been known to happen.