The right to recover possession from a tenant through the summary proceeding known as dispossess is one given by statute and is not a common law right. The action is brought in courts, of minor jurisdiction, that is to say, courts of justices of the peace in country districts and city or municipal courts in cities. A petition is prepared reciting the tenancy and setting forth the cause of action and praying the court for a warrant of dispossess. The tenant must be notified, either personally or through some member of his family, or by posting the notice on the leased premises. There is a return day at which time the tenant may appear and answer. The court may not grant the petition - it may give judgment to the tenant. If the tenant does not answer, or if the court decides against him, judgment is given to the landlord and a warrant of dispossess is issued immediately. As a matter of compassion the court may stay the warrant for a short time and in a case of distress, such as serious illness in the tenant's family, there can be little objection to a reasonable delay. The tenant who does not peaceably remove after the warrant has been issued, may, with his belongings, forcibly be removed by a marshal or other public official.