Auun (anc. Bibracte, afterward Augustodunum), a town of France, in Burgundy, department of Sa6ne-et-Loire, on the Arroux, 50 m. N. N. W. of Macon; pop. in 1866, 12,389. It lies at the foot of a range of well wooded hills; the surrounding country is rich in vineyards and corn fields. The town contains many antiquities. Massive and curious fragirfents of the ancient Roman walls still stand; also the so-called temple of Janus, of imposing proportions and solidity. Besides these there are two curious Roman gates, the remains of an amphitheatre, and just without the gate a pyramidal mass of architecture, built probably for sepulchral purposes, but in whose honor antiquaries are in doubt. The town contains several fine specimens of church architecture, among them the cathedral of St. Lazare, Romanesque in style, and the chapelle St. Nazarre, interesting for its richly painted glass. Near Autun are the valuable coal basins of fipinac and Creuzot. The episcopal see of this city was once held by Talleyrand. The town figures in the history of Gaul as the capital of the AEdui. Under the Romans and the Franks it was often exposed to the ravages of war.
Its vicinity witnessed considerable fighting in the war of 1870-'71, chiefly between the troops of Garibaldi and those of Gen. Werder. An attack on the town by the latter was gallantly repulsed Nov. 30," 1870.