Benne Benoowe, or Binuc (the mother of waters), a river of central Africa, the main tributary of the Quorra or Niger, formerly known as the Chadda, Tchadda, or Tsadda, because it was supposed to be an outlet of Lake Tchad; but there is probably no connection between it and that lake. It rises in an unexplored region in the interior of Soodan, flows W. through Adamawa or Fumbina, receiving its three principal branches, the Kebbi and the Gongola from the north and the Faro from the south, turns S. W. and joins the Niger just above the town of Igbebe, 250 m. from the sea. The Benoowe is more than 700 m. long. It was seen by the Lander brothers in 1830, and explored for 104 m. by Richard Lander, Allen, and Oldfield in 1833. Dr. Barth, while travelling in Adamawa in 1851, came upon the river at the mouth of the Faro, ascertained its true name, and says it was 800 feet wide at that point. In consequence of his reports, an expedition under Dr. Baikie, fitted out at the joint expense of Mr. Macgre-gor Laird and the English government, sailed up the Benoowe in a steamer in 1854, to a point about 400 m. from the Niger and below the mouth of the Faro. Dr. Baikie made a second expedition in 1857, but added little to the stock of knowledge already possessed.
During the rainy season, in August and September, the volume of water poured by the Benoowe into the Niger is enormous. The right bank of the river and part of the left is in the power of the Fellatahs.