Bosna-Serai, Or Serayevo, a city of European Turkey, capital of the province of Bosnia, at the confluence of the rivers Miliatchka and Bosna, in lat. 43° 52' N., Ion. 18° 40' E., 560 m. N W. of Constantinople; pop. about 60,000. It is surrounded by a wall of no considerable strength, and has a citadel with fortresses out of repair. The houses are mostly of wood. There are about 100 mosques, several schools, a number of Greek, and four Roman Catholic churches. The majority of the inhabitants are Moslems; the rest are Greeks, Catholics, and Jews. The Jews have a considerable part of the commerce. Bosna-Serai is a great entrepot of traffic between Turkey, Dalmatia, and Croatia; it exports leather, hides, wool, goats' hair, cattle, and smoked fish, and imports cotton and woollen stuifs, silks, lace, paper, salt, glassware, and jewelry. It has manufactures of leather, cotton, woollen, iron, copper, cutlery, and firearms. The city was founded by the Hungarians about 1263 under the name of Bosznavar. It derives its present surname Serai (palace) from a palace built in 1530 by Khosrev Bey, the governor of Bosnia. Prince Eugene captured the town in 1697, but was unable to take possession of the citadel.