Caerleon, a market town of Monmouthshire, England, on the Usk, 3 m. N. E. of Newport; pop. in 1871, 1,268. The parish church (St. Cadoc's) has a tower of the early English style. There is a handsome stone bridge over the Usk, and iron and tin works in the neighborhood. It was a Roman station (Isca Silurum), and a Roman road, via Julia, passed through it. It is believed to have been the capital of Britannia Secunda (Wales), and the seat of a bishopric soon after the introduction of Christianity into Britain. It was the seat of the mythic court of King Arthur, and a space of ground, 222 by 192 ft. has received the name of Arthur's Round Table; but it was probably a Roman amphitheatre. In the 12th century it was noted as a seat of learning, and contained an abbey of Cistercian monks. Many objects of antiquity, chiefly Roman, have been found in the vicinity, which are preserved in the museum of the town.
Arthur's Bound Table.