Concordia, an E. central parish of Louisiana, bounded E. by the Mississippi river, W. by the Tensas and Washita, and S. by Red river; area, 790 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,977, of whom 9,257 were colored. Its surface is low, and inundations are consequently of frequent occurrence. There are many lakes and sloughs which occupy a considerable portion of the parish. The greater part of the land available for agriculture is laid out in cotton plantations. The chief productions in 1870 were 62,950 bushels of Indian corn, 4,350 of sweet potatoes, and 26,712 bales of cotton. There were 1,035 horses, 2,280 mules, 1,079 milch cows, 2,490 other cattle, and 4,017 swine. Capital, Vidalia.
Concordia, a divinity of peace, in whose honor several temples were erected in Rome. The most ancient and celebrated of these temples was that built by Camillus, shortly before his death, on the declivity of the capitol, to commemorate the reconciliation of the patricians and plebeians, after the enactment of the Licinian rogations, Concordia was generally represented as a matron holding in her right hand a patera or an olive branch, and in her left hand a cornucopia. Her symbols were two hands clasped together, and two serpents entwined about a wand.
Concordia. (Roman Medal, Zells Pantheon).