Edward Pellew Exmouth, viscount, an English admiral, born at Dover, April 19, 1757, died at Teignmouth, Jan. 23, 1833. He entered the navy at the age of 13, and first distinguished himself in the battle of Lake Cham-plain, Oct. 11,1776. In 1782 he became a post captain, and from 1786 to 1789 he was stationed off Newfoundland. In 1793, commanding the frigate Nymphe, of 36 guns, he captured the French frigate La Cleopatre, of equal metal, after a desperate battle. This was the first prize taken in the war, and Pellew was knighted. He was then employed in blockading the French coast. At Plymouth in 1796, by great bravery and presence of mind, he saved the lives of all on board a wrecked transport, leaving the ship himself just before it went to pieces. For this he was made a baronet, and received other honors. Mean-while, in command of the Arethusa, 44 guns, he had fought a number of engagements with French vessels, being always victorious. He also commanded successively the Indefatigable, 49 guns, and the Impetueux, 78 guns.

In 1802 he was elected to parliament, but in 1804 was again called to the naval service, promoted to rear admiral, and made commander-in-chief in the East Indies. In 1808 he was made vice admiral, and in 1810 was sent to command in the Mediterranean. In 1814 he was created Baron Exmouth of Canonteign, with a pension of £2,000, and in the same year was made a full admiral. During his command in the Mediterranean he concluded treaties with Algiers, Tunis, and Tripoli, for the abolition of Christian slavery. The dey of Algiers having violated his treaty, Exmouth sailed into the harbor of Algiers, Aug. 26, 1816, with 19 vessels, accompanied by a Dutch fleet of 0, and engaged the Algerine fleet and batteries at close quarters. After an action of seven hours, every Algerine ship and the arsenal and several other buildings were on fire. The dey conceded everything that was demanded, and signed a new treaty. In this affair Lord Exmouth received two slight wounds and had his clothes torn to shreds by the shot. About 1,200 Christian slaves were liberated, and on his return the admiral was made a viscount.

He retired from public service in 1821.