Flushing, a village and town of Queens co., New York, about 8 m. N. E. of Brooklyn; pop. of the village in 1870, 0,223; of the town, 14,650. The village is at the head of a bay of "the same name opening into Long Island sound, and has daily communication with New York by the Flushing and the Flushing and North Side railroads and connecting ferries. It is noted for its magnificent avenues, lined with elegant residences, many of which are owned by New York merchants, and for its extensive gardens and nurseries, which are resorted to by numerous visitors. It is the seat of the Flushing institute, an academy which in 1872 had 7 instructors and 104 pupils; the Flushing female seminary; St. Joseph's academy for young ladies, with 100 pupils; St. Mary's seminary for boys; and St. Joseph's convent, containing 113 sisters. One daily and two weekly newspapers are published. There are eight churches, Baptist, Congregational, Dutch Reformed, Episcopal, Methodist (three), and Roman Catholic. Two of the Methodist churches are for colored people.-The town also contains the villages of College Point (pop. 3,052) and Whitestone (pop. 1,907).