Fond Du Lac, a S. E. county of Wisconsin, at the S. end of Lake Winnebago; area, 754 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 46,273. It is drained by Fond du Lac river and other streams. A steep ledge of limestone, running from X. E. to S. W., divides the county into two unequal portions, the easternmost of which is heavily timbered, while the other contains extensive prairies. The soil is calcareous and generally fertile. The Wisconsin division of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad, the Sheboygan and Fond du Lac, and the Northern division of the Milwaukee and St. Paul, pass through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 1,615,266 bushels of wheat, 287,400 of Indian corn, 879, 515 of oats, 60,735 of barley, 242.961 of potatoes, 76,027 tons of hav, 1,095,482 lbs. of butter, 274,137 of wool, and 49,825 of hops. There were 11,621 horses, 14,273 milch cows, 13,350 other cattle, 66,084 sheep, and 12,917 swine; 4 manufactories of agricultural implements, 8 of boots and shoes, 28 of carriages and wagons, 7 of cheese, 9 of clothing, 7 of furniture, 4 of iron castings, 10 of engines and boilers, 1 of linseed oil, 12 of saddlery and harness, 9 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 12 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 5 of cigars, 3 planing and 18 saw mills, 4 tanneries, 2 currying establishments, and 19 flour mills.
Capital, Fond du Lac.
Fond Du Lac, a city and the capital of Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, situated at the S. end of Lake Winnebago, 60 m. X. by W. of Milwaukee; pop. in 1860, 5,460; in 1870, 12,-764, of whom 4,029 were foreigners. It is built on ground ascending gradually from the lake, and interspersed with groves. An interesting feature of the city is the numerous artesian wells, which supply water of great purity and excellence. One of these yields magnetic water, and is noted for its curative properties. The buildings are partly of wood and partly of brick. The chief public edifices are an extensive hotel, a fine hall, a large high school building, and a fine post office building. Fond du Lac is surrounded by a rich agricultural country, and ships large quantities of hay and many horses and cattle to the Lake Superior mining region. It has communication by steamboat with Green bay and with points on the Fox and Wolf rivers, and by rail with all points through the Wisconsin division of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad and the Sheboygan and Fond du Lac railroad, and there is also an air-line road to Milwaukee. The manufactories include 16 saw mills, 2 shingle mills, 4 sash and door factories, 3 grist mills, 3 founderies, 1 manufactory of agricultural implements, 15 or 20 carriage and wagon factories, and 1 blast furnace.
The car shops of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad employ about 400 men. There is a national bank with a capital of 8100,000, and two savings banks having each $50,000 capital. The city is divided into five wards. In 1872 there were 47 public schools, viz., 1 high, 4 grammar, and 42 primary, having 50 teachers and an average attendance of 3,020 pupils. The total expenditure for school purposes was $92,569, of which $18,371 were for teachers wages. There are 15 churches, and 2 daily, 1 semi-weekly (German), and 5 weekly (2 German) newspapers.