Georgetown (Dutch, Stabroek), the capital of British Guiana, and of the county of Dem-erara, situated on the E. bank of Demerara river, at its mouth, here about 1 m. wide; lat. 6° 49' 24" N., Ion. 58° 11' 30" W.; pop. about 27,000, of whom one quarter are whites. It is regularly built, with broad, clean streets, intersecting at right angles, and neat wooden houses having open verandas in front,-thickly shaded and surrounded by gardens. Canals communicating with each other and with the river run through the middle of most of the streets, and are crossed by numerous bridges. The great business thoroughfare is Water street, facing the river, and inhabited exclusively by Europeans. The principal edifice is the town hall, a large stone building, with marble-paved galleries supported by iron columns. The Episcopal cathedral is a handsome stone building, besides which there are one Episcopal and ten other churches, a college, many schools, two hospitals, a lunatic asylum, two banks, two theatres, a handsome promenade, several artesian wells, and a market place surrounded by well supplied shops. Below the town is Fort Frederick William, and near it, at the mouth of the river, a lighthouse. Georgetown is unhealthy, owing to its low, marshy situation.
By way of security against dampness the houses are raised on piles three or four feet above the ground. Diarrhoea, dysentery, dropsy, and yellow and intermittent fevers are prevalent diseases. There is a bar at at the mouth of the river, on which is 15 feet of water. The principal exports are coffee, sugar, and rum. The value of imports for the year ending Dec. 31, 1871, was $6,804,949 68; amount of duties collected, $609,719 43; value of exports, $13,080,943 12. Entered, 72 steamers of 9,216 tons, and 854 sailing vessels of 216,165 tons; cleared, 72 steamers of 9,216 tons, and 906 sailing vessels of 192,758 tons.