Aversa, a town and episcopal see of Campania, Italy, in the province of Caserta, 15&FRAC12; m. S.S.W. by rail from Caserta, and 12&FRAC12; m. N. by rail from Naples, from which there is also an electric tramway. Pop. (1901) 23,477. Aversa was the first place in which the Normans settled, it being granted to them in 1027 for the help which they had given to Duke Sergius of Naples against Pandulf IV. of Capua. The Benedictine abbey of S. Lorenzo preserves a portal of the 11th century. There is also a large lunatic asylum, founded by Joachim Murat in 1813.