Abbattoir. The name given by the French to the public slaughter-houses, which were established in Paris, by a degree of Napoleon, in 1810, and finished in 1818. These buildings, which are of very large dimensions, consist of slaughter-rooms, built of stone, with every arrangement for cleanliness, and with ample mechanical aids. An endeavour was made to establish them in England, but it failed.