See also Adhesives.


If buckling of the mount is to be cured, the prints must be mounted in a dry state, and the film of mountant borne by the print must be just sufficient to attach it firmly to the mount and no more. The great virtue of the method here described consists of the marvelously thin film of tenacious mountant applied to the print in its dry condition, shrinkage by this means being entirely obviated. A drawing board with a perfectly smooth surface and of fair dimensions, an ivory or bone burnisher attached to a short handle, with some common glue, are the principal requisites. Take, say, a quarter of a pound of the glue broken into small pieces and cover it with water in a clean gallipot, large enough to allow for the subsequent swelling of the glue. Place on one side until the glue has become thoroughly permeated by the water, then pour off the excess and dissolve the glue in the water it has absorbed, by placing the gallipot in a vessel of hot water. The solution tested with a piece of blue litmus paper will show a distinctly acid reaction, which must be carefully neutralized by adding some solution of carbonate of soda. The amount of water absorbed by the glue will probably be too little to give it the best working consistency, and, if this is the case, sufficient should be added to make it about the thickness of ordinary molasses. Careful filtration through a cambric handkerchief, and the addition of about 10 grains of thymol, completes the preparation of the mounting solution. As glue deteriorates by frequent and prolonged heating, it is preferable to make up a stock solution, from which sufficient for the work in hand can be taken in the form of jelly, melted, and used up at once. The finished prints, dried and trimmed to the required size, are placed on the boards they are to occupy when mounted, and, as it is impossible to remove a print for readjustment once it is laid down for final mounting, the wisest course is to indicate by faint pencil marks on the mount the exact position the print is to occupy; then it may be laid down accurately and without any indecision. A small gas or oil stove is required on the mounting table to keep the glue liquid, but maintaining the solution in a constant state of ebullition throughout the operation is unnecessary and harmful to the glue; the flame should be regulated so that the mountant is kept just at the melting point. Place the drawing board beside the gas stove and with a house-painter's brush of good quality and size spread the glue over an area considerably exceeding the dimensions of the print to be mounted. A thin coating of glue evenly applied to the board is the end to aim at, to accomplish which the brush should be worked in horizontal strokes, crossing these with others at right angles. Have at hand a small pile of paper cut into pieces somewhat larger than the print to be mounted (old newspaper answers admirably for these pieces), lay one down on the glued patch and press it well into contact by passing the closed hand across it in all directions. Raise one corner of the paper, and slowly but firmly strip it from the board. Repeat the operations of gluing the board (in the same place) and stripping the newspaper 2 or 3 times, when a beautifully even cushion of glue will remain on the board.

Mounting the prints is the next step. The cushion of glue obtained on the board has to be coated with glue for, say, every second print, but the amount applied must be as small as possible. After applying the glue the print is laid down upon it, a square of the waste newspaper laid over the print, which has then to be rubbed well into contact with the glue. Raise a corner of the print with the point of a penknife and strip it from the board, as in the case of the newspaper. Care must be taken when handling the print in its glued condition to keep the fingers well beyond the edges of the print in order that no flue may be abstracted from the edges. Lay the print quickly down upon its mount; with a clean, soft linen duster smooth it everywhere into contact, place upon it a square of photographic drying board, and with the bone burnisher go over it in all directions, using considerable pressure. The finished result is a mounted print that shows no signs of buckling, and which adheres to the mount with perfect tenacity.


Gelatin............ 2 parts

Water............. 4 parts

Alcohol........... 8 parts

The alcohol is added slowly as soon as the gelatin is well dissolved in the water, and the vessel turned continually to obtain a homogeneous mixture. The solution must be kept hot during the operation on a water bath, and should be applied quickly, as it soon dries; the print must be placed exactly the first time, as it adheres at once. The solution keeps for a long time in well-corked bottles.