This section is from the book "The Dogs Of Great Britain, America, And Other Countries. Their Breeding, Training, and Management in Health and Disease", by John Henry Walsh (Stonehenge). Also available from Amazon: The Dogs Of Great Britain, America And Other Countries.
These are medicines which are given with a view of changing an unhealthy into a healthy action. We know nothing of the mode in which the change is produced, and we can only judge of them by the results. The most powerful are mercury, iodine, hemlock, hellebore, and cod-liver oil, which are given in the following formulas:
1. - AEthiop's mineral, 1 1/2 to 5 grains. Powdered rhubarb, 1 to 4 grains. "ginger, 1/2 to 1 1/2 grain.
Mix and make into a pill, to be given every evening.
2. - Hemlock extract, or fresh-bruised leaves, 2 to 4 grains. Plummer's pill, It to 5 grains.
Mix, and give every night, or every other night.
3. - Iodide of potassium, 2 to 4 grains.
Liquid extract of sarsaparilla, 1 drachm.
Mix, and give in a little water, once or twice a day.
4. - Stinking hellebore, 5 to 10 grains. Powdered Jalap, 2 to 4 grains.
Mix into a bolus, and give every other night.
5. - Cod-liver oil, from a teaspoonful to a tablespoonfaL To be given twice a day.