1. Section of Plantar Pad of Man (20 diameters).
2. Section of Plantar Pad of Dog (25 diameters).
3. Chestnut of Foetus of Mare, early stage (180 diameters).
4. Chestnut of Foetus of Mare, approaching maturity (3 diameters).
5. Transverse Section of Chestnut of Adult horse (12 diameters).
6. Longitudinal Section of Chestnut of Adult Horse (12 diameters).
7. Longitudinal Section of Ergot of Horse (12 diameters).
*** Each section shows the horny covering, the secreting villi, and the soft underlying tissues.
PLATE LX1X. MICROSCOPIC STRUCTURE OF PLANTAR PADS, CHESTNUTS, AND ERGOT.
Altogether, so far as the horse of domestication is concerned, they might apparently be dispensed with, notwithstanding their value as relics of a long-past order of things.