1. What measuring instrument is used to measure the length of a 9-ft. plate? 36-ft. boat? 20-ft. wind-shield?
4. What measuring instrument is used to measure the inside diameter of pipes? Elbows?
5. What measuring device is used in measuring the length and width of a table?
7. What objection may be raised to measuring the length of a school room with a 2-ft. rule?
8. An apprentice was told to obtain the diameter of a pulley by measuring the longest distance across the pulley. Was this instruction correct?
9. How may the diameter of a small iron ball be obtained accurately?
10. Is there an exact number that shows the exact relation between the meter and the foot?
12. Explain some of the reasons why the metric system has not been extensively adopted in this country.
1. What is the area of a square surface 14 in. on a side? Give the area in square feet.
2. What is the area of a rectangular surface 1 ft. 5 in. by 8 in.? Give the area in square feet.
3. What is the area of circular piece of metal with a diameter of 8 in.?
4. What is the area of an elliptical shape with diameters 4 ft. 5 in. and 7 ft. 8 in.?
5. What is the volume of a cube 1 ft. 8 in. on a side? Give the answer in cubic feet.
6. What is the volume of a rectangular tank 8 ft. 5 in. by 7 ft. 7 in. by 5 ft. 4 in.?
7. What is the volume of a sphere 8 in. in diameter?
8. What is the volume of a cylinder 14 in. high with a diameter of 7 in.?
9. What is the area of a triangular surface, base 11 in. and height 9 in.?
10. What is the circumference of a pulley that measures 24 in. in diameter?
11. What is the side or thickness of a square bar, machine made from 1 1/8 in. circular stock?
12. A square bar is 1 3/16 in. thick, what size of circular stock must be used to make it?
13. What are the contents of a wedge with a triangular base of 14 sq. in. and 4 ft. high?
14. Give the area of the surface of a cylinder with diameter 7 in. and length 1 1/2 ft.?
15. What is the surface of a sphere in square feet with a diameter of 11 in.?
16. What are the contents of a sphere with a diameter 4 1/2 in.?
17. Give the contents in gallons of a conical-shaped vessel with a diameter of 2 1/2 in. and a height of 1 1/4 ft.?
18. What is the volume in cubic centimeters of a tank 2 m. X 4 dm. X 5 cm.?
19. Give the English equivalents of the following dimensions from a French blue-print: 1.7 m.; 26 dm.; 3 cm.; 5 mm.; 19 mm.; 24 dm.; 89 m.; 4 km.; 46 dm.; 7.9 m.
20. Give the metric equivalents of the following dimensions: 18 in.; 3 ft. 7 in.; 1 gal.; 7 qt.; 19 pt.; 5 ft. 9 in.; 2 1/2 lbs.; 1 lb. 9 oz.; 1 ton; 34 oz.
21. A milkman charges 60¢ a gallon for milk. What is the price per liter?
22. A powder sells for 70¢ a pound. What is the price per kilogram?