1. Draw a sketch of a hammer removing a nail from a board. Where is the fulcrum?
2. Would you gain more advantage in holding the handle of the hammer in the middle or the end? Explain.
3. Why are hammers graded by weight?
4. Why is the neck of the hammer made small?
5. Name the common hammers and their uses.
6. How does a chisel for cutting steel differ from one used in cutting wood? Why?
7. Explain the different forms of cold chisels,
8. Explain the manufacture of a file.
9. What is the mechanical principle of a file?
10. What is the difference between a file and a rasp?
11. Draw a sketch of a file. Name the principal parts.
12. Name the different kinds of drills and the shape and properties of each.
13. Explain the mechanism of a drill point?
14. Is it possible to drill a hole to exact diameter? Why?
15. What is reaming?
16. What effect will irregular motion have in reaming?
18. What is corundum? Describe some of its physical properties.
20. What holds the particles of a grinding stone together? Is there any danger of the stone's breaking?
21. What is emery cloth?
22. Why are metals polished? Explain the operation.
23. What is rouge?
24. Explain the development of artificial grinding stones.