(30) Polygala - two inner sepals wing-like; petals three to five adhering to the tube of the stamens, the lower one keeled.
* Stamens monadelphous (i.e. in one parcel).
(31) Ulex - calyx elongated deeply two-lipped yellow, the upper lip with two, the lower with three small teeth at the tips.
(32) Genista - calyx short two-lipped, the upper lip larger twoparted, the lower deeply three-toothed.
(33) Sarothamnus - calyx short two-lipped, the upper with two, the lower with three small teeth at the tips.
(34) Trifolium - legume few(l-4)-seeded, scarcely longer than the calyx; leaves trifoliolate.
(35) Vicia - legume many-seeded, two-valved; leaves pinnate, tendrilled.
†† Pod (or legume) divided by transverse articulations into one-seeded cells.
(36) Arthrolobium - flowers umbellate, without bracts; legume terete, scarcely contracted at the joints.
(37) Hippocrepis - flowers umbellate, without bracts; keel acuminated; legume much flattened, of numerous joints each curved like a crescent or horseshoe, or having one margin plane the other concave.
(38) Ornithopus - flowers umbellate, bracteated; keel obtuse; legume compressed, the joints equally contracted on both sides.
* Petals four or Jive.
† Fruit a solitary drupe; (calyx deciduous).
(39) Primus - ovary of one free carpel containing two ovules, becoming a succulent fruit enclosing a bard stone containing usually one seed.
†† Fruit consisting of numerous small nuts or drupes; (calyx persistent).
(40) Fragaria - fruit dry, on a succulent receptacle.
(41) Potentilla - fruit and receptacle both dry.
** Petals none.
(42) Alchemilla - calyx double, eight-parted the four outside divisions smaller; stamens four or fewer.
* Calyx-segments large, foliaceous.
(43) Mespilus - petals large roundish; fruit turbinate, with the upper ends of the carpels exposed; disk dilated.
** Calyx-segments small.
(44) Crataegus - petals large roundish; fruit round or oval, with 1-5 bony 1-2-seeded cells or carpels.
(45) Pyrus - petals large roundish; fruit fleshy, with five distinct cartilaginous 1-2-seeded cells.
(46) Cotoneaster - petals small erect; fruit turbinate, its cells forming distinct nuts cohering to the inside of the fleshy calyx.