On the 20th December 1878 about forty gentlemen (including the leading gardeners about Liverpool, and other friends of our valued contributor Mr Sutherland) assembled at the Public Rooms, Aigburth, for the purpose of making a presentation to that gentleman on the occasion of his retiring from the management of Messrs Ker's Nursery at Grassindale, near Liverpool, to undertake the management of Messrs Ireland & Thomson's Nurseries in Edinburgh. The gift, which consisted of a very handsome gold watch and appendages, was supplied by Messrs Elkington of Liverpool, and was in recognition of the sterling character and gentlemanly demeanour of Mr Sutherland, who, during his stay in the neighbourhood, had won the esteem, if not the affection, of all with whom he was brought in contact.

Mr Francis of Rosemount presided on the occasion, with Mr Fowler as vice-chairman; and the presentation was made in a complimentary address by Mr W. Hinds of Otterspool Gardens, and was appropriately acknowledged by Mr Sutherland.

The watch bore the inscription, "Presented to Mr Wm. Sutherland by Liverpool gardeners and friends, as a token of their esteem and respect. Liverpool, Dec. 20, 1878." The letters W. S. were also cut in monogram on the outer case.