Pilsen (Boh. Plzeri), a city of Bohemia, situated where the Mies, Radbusa, and Uslawa unite to form the Beraun, 52 m. S. W. of Prague, on the West-Bohemian railway; pop. in 1870, 23,681. Among its buildings the chief is the deanery church of St. Bartholomew, a beautiful Gothic edifice of the 13th century; among its public institutions are a lyceum of high class, a theatre, and three hospitals. There are a Franciscan monastery, a convent of Premonstratensians, and several religious schools. "Woollens, leather, watches, musical instruments, and iron wire are among the chief manufactures, and iron, coal, and alum are mined near by. Until a recent period Pilsen was called Neu-Pilsen, the little village of Alt-Pilsen, about 5 m. S. E., having sent out the founders of the present town about 1250. Alt-Pilsen is now called Pilsenetz. During the thirty years' war Pilsen was for a time the headquarters of Wallenstein. In the summer of 1866 it was occupied by a Prussian garrison. It is strongly fortified.