Pliilipp Veit, a German painter, born in Berlin, Feb. 13, 1793. His mother was the daughter of the philosopher Mendelssohn, who after the death of her first husband married Friedrich Schlegel. He completed his studies in Rome, where he was associated with Cornelius, Overbeck, and other German painters in the attempted revival of mediaeval art; and he executed in the villa of the Prussian consul, J. S. Bartholdy, the fresco representing the "Seven Years of Plenty," as a companion piece to Overbeck's " Seven Years of Famine." In 1826 he became director of the Stadel art institute at Frankfort, and produced works in oil and fresco, which are among the most characteristic productions of modern German art. His masterpiece is a fresco in the institute representing "Christianity bringing the Fine Arts into Germany." Such was his dislike of the new realistic school, that on the purchase in 1843 of Lessing's "Huss before the Council of Constance" for the institute, he resigned his office, and settled in Sachsenhausen, opposite Frankfort. Among his subsequent productions are an "Assumption of the Virgin" for the Frankfort cathedral, and " The Marys at the Sepulchre," "The Parable of the Good Samaritan," and "The Egyptian Darkness," for the king of Prussia.