A district and collec-torate of Bombay, British India, extending in a narrow strip along the W. coast of the main peninsula and the E. shore of the gulf of Cambay; area, about 1,350 sq. m.; pop. estimated at 200,000. It contains, besides the capital, about 400 villages, the inhabitants of which are mostly engaged in agriculture, especially in the cultivation of cotton, large quantities of which are exported. The district was annexed to the territory of the East India company in 1781, but in 1782 the Mahrattas, who had formerly held it, were allowed to again assume the government. In 1803, with a considerable extent of other territory, it was finally ceded to the company. II. A city, capital of the district, in lat. 21° 46' N., Ion. 73° 14' E., on the Nerbudda river, about 25 m. from its mouth, and 29 m. S. by W. of Ba-roda; pop. about 31,500. It has a few fine buildings, but in general the houses are low and unattractive in appearance. Much of the city is now in ruins, and the river filled with sand so that large vessels cannot approach the place.
Broach is supposed to be the Barygaza of Ptolemy and Arrian.