Saint Cloud, a city and the county seat of Stearns co., Minnesota, on the W. bank of the Mississippi river, 67 m. in a direct line and 100 m. by the course of the river N. W. of St. Paul; pop. in 1870, 2,161; in 1875, about 2,800. It is connected with St. Paul by the first division of the St. Paul and Pacific railroad, which continues N. up the Sauk valley. Another railroad up the Mississippi, intersecting the Northern Pacific 65 m. distant, is graded (1875). Steamers ply in summer to the falls of St. Anthony at Minneapolis. The city is surrounded by a country unexcelled for grain growing and stock raising. A rapid in the Mississippi here affords one of the best water powers in the country, and a company organized for the purpose is improving it. Some of the manufactories are now run by steam. There are two saw mills, two flouring mills, two planing mills, and sash, door, and blind factories, an iron and brass foundery, one large and three smaller furniture manufactories, a plough factory, four wagon factories, marble works, brick yards, potteries, etc. In the immediate vicinity are several beds of superior granite, which is cut in the city, and shipped to Chicago and other points.