Saint Eustatius, an island of the West Indies, belonging to the Netherlands, in the Leeward group, 12 m. N. W. of St. Christopher; area, about 8 sq. m.; pop. about 2,200. The N. part is broken into rugged hills from 500 to 900 ft. high; the S. is occupied by an extinct volcano, the summit of which is 1,950 ft. high. The climate is warm, but healthful. The soil is fertile, but covered with a wilderness of weeds; the chief product is yams, besides which the sugar cane is cultivated, yielding an average of 30,000 lbs. of sugar per annum. Orange, the chief town, is on the S. W. side, built partly on a small beach and partly on a steep cliff 130 ft. high; this cliff is composed of white argillaceous earth, which makes excellent cement for subaqueous as well as ordinary works. The only acce'ssible point is on the beach under the town, and here the surf is dangerous. The landing is defended by a fort and several batteries. It has been a Dutch colony since about 1635, but was several times taken by the French and English, and the English language is spoken.
It was at one time a place of great importance, being the seat of an extensive contraband trade, and the population in 1780 was 25,000; but it now has little trade.