Ennio Quirino, an Italian archaeologist, born in Rome, Nov. 1, 1751, died in Paris, Feb. 7, 1818. His father, Giovanni Battista Antonio Visconti, was a Genoese descendant of the Visconti of Milan, and in 1768 succeeded Winckelmann as superintendent of antiquities at Rome. He organized the museum, later known as the museo Pio-Clementino, in the Vatican, and undertook excavations which resulted in the discovery of the grave of the Scipios and other memorable relics. He made himself the principal instructor of his son, to show the superiority of private over public tuition, and with the same object published Experimentum Domestical Institutionis (2 vols., Rome, 1762-'4); and Ennio was only 14 years old when he translated the Hecuba of Euripides into Latin verse (1765). In 1771 he took his degree in law, and entered the service of the pope as honorary chamberlain and as sub-librarian •of the Vatican; but on his refusing to take holy orders he was deprived of these offices. He became private librarian of Prince Ferdinando Chigi, and about 1785 was placed at the head of the capitol museum.
Under the French provisional government he became in 1798 minister of the interior, and subsequently was for seven months one of the five consuls of the new republic, when he founded the institute at Rome. After the expulsion of the French he finally took refuge in France at the close of 1799, and became administrator of the collections of the Louvre, and in 1803 a member of the institute. His works include Monumenti degli Scipioni (Rome, 1780); Museo Pio-Glementino (7 vols., 1782-1807, the first volume published under his father's name); Iscrizioni greche Triopee, ora Borghesiane (1794); Descriptions des antiques du musee national du Louvre (Paris, 1801; new ed., 1807); Iconographie ancienne (Greek and Roman, 5 vols, fol., 1808-'20, published at the suggestion and mainly at the expense of Napoleon, and completed by Mongez); and the posthumous Illustrazioni di monumenti scelti Borghesiani, edited by Stef ano Palli and J. G. de' Rossi (1821). His complete works on art appeared at Milan (12 vols., 1818-22), and his miscellaneous writings in Italian and French, edited by Giovanni Labus (3 vols., 1827-'32).
Louis Tallies Joachim, a French architect, son of the preceding, born in Rome, Feb. 11, 1791, died in Paris, Dec. 29, 1853. He completed his studies at the school of fine arts in Paris in 1817, and was connected with various works till 1825, when he became architect of the royal library, which he in vain strove to re.store on a grand scale. His principal works were the fountain for the place Louvois, begun in 1835, and other fountains, monuments on the tombs of great warriors, and several palaces, especially the Collet palace on the quai d'Orsay. His masterpiece was the mausoleum of Napoleon at the Invalides.