Chantilly, a town of France, in the department of Oise, 24 m. N. by E. of Paris; pop. about 3.500. It abounds in natural beauties. A forest extending over nearly 7,000 acres adjoins the fine public park and pleasure grounds. Three annual horse races are held here, the spring race being the most important. The grand chateau, in which the great Conde gave splendid entertainments, was destroyed in 1793, and only the renowned stables and the 'petit chateau remain. The latter, one of the most admired renaissance structures in France, reverted after the death of the last of the Condes in 1830 to the duke d'Aumale, to whom it was restored in 1872, after having been confiscated by Louis Napoleon. The town contains an English chapel. There are several large establishments for supplying lacemakers in the vicinity with patterns and materials for a peculiar kind of lace known as Chantilly.
Dome of Stables, Chantilly.