A rajahship of Bombay presidency, British India, bounded N. and N. E. by Sattara, E. and S. by Belgaum, and W. by the Ghauts; area, 3,445 sq. m.; pop., including dependencies, about 500,000, mostly Mahrattas and Ramooses. The latter are a predatory, warlike tribe, resembling the Bheels, to whom, however, they are superior in intelligence. The people of certain maritime towns formerly subject to the rajah were much addicted to piracy, and in 1765 the Bombay government undertook to check them by sending an expedition against Colapoor. The fort of Mai wan was captured, but the evil was not entirely suppressed till 1812. The country was afterward repeatedly occupied by British troops. In 1842 the government was confided to an agent of the British, against whom a general rebellion was aroused in 1844. The rising was put down, and the control of the state was thenceforth exercised directly by the British in the name of the rajah. II. The capital of the rajahship, situated in a secluded valley, little visited by Europeans, 185 m. S. S. E. of Bombay, and 130 m. S. of Poonah. It is fortified, though with little strength.
The first decided outbreak in the Bombay presidency, during the rebellion of 1857, occurred here.