Sattara, Or Satara. I. A collectorate in the southern division of the province of Bombay, British India, separated by the Western Ghauts from the Indian ocean, and situated S. of the district of Poonah; area, about 11,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 1,028,520. The country forms part of the table land of the Deccan, and the surface is generally much broken and rugged. It is drained by the head waters of the Kistnah and its tributaries. The soil is generally barren, and in the western or more elevated part of the country the climate is cool and excessively moist. The Mahratta race predominates, and it was here that the great chieftain Sevajee rose to power in the middle of the 17th century. The state passed from his successors to the peishwa, whose territory was occupied by the British at the close of the Mahratta war of 1817-'18. In 1819 they replaced the rajah, a descendant of Sevajee, upon the throne of his ancestors, under British protection. In consequence of certain intrigues he was deposed by his protectors in 1839, and his brother elevated in his place. The new rajah governed with great wisdom, and died in 1848 without issue, but adopted a boy distantly related to him a few hours before his death.
It was decided by the British authorities that a dependent principality could not pass to an adopted heir without the consent of the paramount power; and Sattara was annexed to British India. Within its limits is the political agency of Sattara, superintending four native principalities, each governed by a descendant of. a Mahratta chief or courtier, viz.: the Pant Pratinidhi, the Pant Sacheo, the Min-balkar of Phalkan, and the Daflekar, with areas respectively of 350, 500, 400, and 700 sq. m.
A Town, capital of the district, 115 m. S. S. E. of Bombay, in lat. 17° 41' N., lon. 74° 1' E., among the hills of the Deccan, E. of the ridge of the Ghauts. The fort is on the summit of a steep mountain, E. of the town, about 800 ft. high. Sattara was taken from the Mussulmans by Sevajee in 1673, blockaded and captured by Aurungzebe in person in 1700, and retaken by the Mahrattas five years later. It was the residence of the rajah after his restoration by the British.