Dendermonde, Or Tcrmonde, a town of Belgium, in the province of East Flanders, at the junction of the Scheldt and Dender rivers, 1G m. N. W. of Brussels; pop. in 1867, 8,300. It contains nine places of worship, many charitable and educational institutions, an academy of design and architecture, and several fine private collections of art. In the church of Notre Dame are two pictures by Vandyke and other works of art. The surrounding country is fertile, and produces the finest flax in Flanders. An active trade is carried on in this article, in grain, linseed, hemp, and oil, and in various manufactures, the most important of which are woollen cloths, cotton yarn, and lace. The town is supposed to date from the 8th century. Many Roman antiquities have been found in the neighborhood. In 1667 it resisted a siege of Louis XIV. by opening the sluices. In 1706 it was taken by Marlborough only after a long drought, and in 1745 by the French. The present fortifications date from 1822, and the bridge over the Scheldt from 1825.